As a general rule, citizens of countries that have a good relationship with India can stay in the country for 180 days without further formalities, but if you intend to immigrate to India, you will need to register with one of the Regional Foreigners Registration Offices before completing 14 days of stay in the country. There are a number of other procedures for living in India and our team of lawyers in India is here to help you.
|Entry visa requirement (from EU) (YES/NO)||
Entry visa requirement (outside EU) (YES/NO)
Types of visas available
|Time frame for obtaining work visa (approx.)||
Minimum 3 working days
|Validity of temporary residence permit||Extended up to 5 years, depending on type|
|Time frame for obtaining permanent residence (approx.)||
Permanent Residency Status available to foreign investors, residency granted for 10 years (extendable), minimum processing time: 3 days.
|Investor Visa Availability (YES/NO)||
|Sponsorship requirement (YES/NO)||No|
|Time frame for obtaining citizenship||
Dual citizenship not permitted
|Citizenship/Residency by investment scheme availability (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Tax benefits for expats||Tax credit on foreign income, subject to conditions.|
|How to obtain citizenship||
– by birth,
– by descent,
– by registration,
– pass the residency requirements,
– show good character,
– pass language test,
– renounce previous citizenship (if applicable),
– submit application,
– take oath of alliance.
Reside in India for at least 11 out of the last 14 years before applying for citizenship;
Live continuously in the country for one year immediately before submitting the application.
|Overseas Citizenship of India||
A special immigration status granted to individuals of Indian origin living abroad;
Is a long-term visa that allows multiple entries into the country.
|Persons of Indian Origin||
A predecessor of the Overseas Citizenship of India, which is no longer available.
|Can buy property (YES/NO)||
YES, but only under long-term visas or residence permits.
|Cases for citizenship by registration||
– be a resident of India for 7 years,
– be married for 7 years to an Indian citizen,
– individuals with Indian parents,
– be an overseas citizen of India for five years and reside in India for one year, etc.
|Documents required for immigrating||
– proof of residence,
– proof of sustainable income,
– letter of invitation (if applicable), etc.
|Special documents needed for||
– employment for business.
|Immigrating with pets||
– microchipping is mandatory,
– obtain license of import for pets,
– respect vaccination protocols,
– obtain certificate from the Animal Quarantine and Certification Station.
|Importing personal belongings||
– hold a valid visa,
– must be shipped within 30 days of the individual’s arrival in the country,
– physical presence required during custom verification.
|Free of charge imported items||
– small appliances,
– video cassette player,
– washing machine,
– domestic refrigerators,
– cooking ranges (under certain conditions).
|Reasons to immigrate||
– work opportunities,
– culture and spirituality,
– family reunification,
– personal reasons, etc.
|Advantages of immigration to India||
– economic opportunities,
– exploring the culture,
– affordable cost of living,
– low taxes,
– investment potential, etc.
|Assistance from our Indian lawyers||Our law firm in India can provide support for immigration matters.|
The process of immigration to India begins long before the trip. You will need to gather the necessary documents and apply for the visa that best suits your case to avoid any friction with the Indian government once you are in the country and ready to start enjoying a new culture.
In any immigration process having the right information is key to having a pleasant experience rather than an experience you want to forget right away. That is why we always recommend counting on the assistance of experts in migration issues such as our law firm in India.
Long-term residency in India is subject to several conditions, as well as the mandatory requirement to register with the authorities, depending on the duration of their stay (for example, in case of staying more than 180 days in the country). Our team can give you complete information about the foreigner’s registration process and the information needed upon registration.
Our team of immigration lawyers in India has helped a large number of individuals of various nationalities relocate to India in compliance with all the immigration regulations required by the government. The experience we have gained throughout our experience qualifies us to assist immigrants from all countries.
Why migrate to India?
The reasons for coming to live in India are varied. Our Indian lawyers are used to working with entrepreneurs and investors who come to this country for its business opportunities, some of our clients come for other reasons ranging from studies to personal reasons.
One of the most compelling reasons to immigrate to India is that the cost of living is much more affordable than in other countries. This is especially true for those coming from European countries or from the United States, where the cost of living is, in comparison to India, very high.
In addition to the low cost of living, another attraction that entices foreigners to move to India is the fact that the country has impressive investment opportunities and is an ever-expanding market. It is a suitable location for investment purposes and enjoying the fruits of your business while experiencing a unique and diverse culture.
Obtaining Indian citizenship is the goal of many of those who are interested in immigration. While not all foreign nationals can qualify to apply for this status as a descendant of an Indian national or as the spouse of one, one can opt for naturalization. In order for this to be possible, the foreign national will need to make a special application and prove that he/she was lawfully residing in the country for twelve years.
Our immigration lawyer in India can give you more details about the general benefits for expats if you are interested in immigration to India.
What documents do I need to immigrate to India?
When one decides to move here, there are essential documents to obtain entry and establish residency. When planning your international move, there are a number of requirements that must be met in order to enter the country without hassle. With the help and advice of a good law firm in India, moving to this country is not particularly difficult.
Our immigration lawyers in India can take care of all the paperwork and help you with the most delicate procedures of your move so that you can enter the country without worrying about anything.
As for the documents and instructions you will need to follow in order to successfully immigrate to India, these are generally the following:
- Visa (valid for one year)
- Notice of place of residence (a valid address).
- Proof of subsistence income.
- Letter of invitation.
There are more general requirements you need to successfully relocate to India. But there are also several other requirements that change depending on the type of visa you need to apply for.
If you want to know the rest of the requirements you will need to enter India you should talk to professional attorneys in India specialized in immigration law. They can give you the information you need first hand.
We invite you to watch the following video on the process to immigrate to India:
What types of visas are available to immigrate to India?
Since 2006, the process for processing visa applications for travel to India involves the payment of a fee that is periodically updated, so you will most likely need to keep up to date on the costs of the process by consulting with a lawyer who specializes in advising people who want to immigrate to India.
Depending on your reason for relocation the type of visa you need will change, so we always suggest that you consult with our team of immigration lawyers in India.
These are the types of visas available for moving to India:
- Transit visa.
- Entry visa for certain groups.
- Tourist visa.
- Work visa.
- Visas for the execution of projects in the field of steel and energy.
- Student visa.
- Business visa.
- Other visas.
Foreign nationals who enter India are required to register and, at the time of the registration, one will be issued a residential permit. This permit has the same duration as the visa.
The visa issued for a specific purpose can be extended, thus essentially allowing the holder to remain in India for long-term purposes and, finally, to meet the requirement for citizenship and to immigrate to India.
Special documents according to visa type
Permanent relocation to India will mean that the foreign national will continue to lawfully reside in the country according to the purpose for which the visa and its corresponding residential permit were issued.
The responsibility to extend the visa falls onto the holder and failure to do so will hinder or cease his or her progress for remaining in the country for long-term purposes.
It is important to know that the visa application requirements include both general documents (such as a valid passport), as well as specific documents, according to the type of visa. Some of the most important are listed below by our immigration lawyer in India:
- for employment: a copy of the employment agreement which includes important details on the employment relationship (job, salary, etc.);
- for employment or business: a forwarded letter from the company with which the visa holder will work, signed by the company’s representative;
- for study purposes: copies of the documents from the school, college, or other educational institution proving the admission of the individual and his or her nationality.
The general supporting documents required for the extension of the visa are the following:
- for the employment visa: the original passport and visa, the registration of the foreign national with the Indian authorities, photographs, resident permit book, employment agreement, copies of the PAN card and the Income Tax; letter from the company specifying the extension of the employment, and other documents as needed;
- for the business visa: original passport and visa, filled-in extension registration form, photographs, resident permit book, a letter from the company with which the foreign national will do business in India, signed by the representative, copies of invoices relevant to the business relationship, bank statement proving the financial means of the applicant, other documents as needed;
- research visa: original passport and visa; letter from the university with details about the research and the field in which it is conducted, photographs, letter from the Ministry of Home Affairs for permission to remain in the country, bank statement showing financial means for one year of stay in the country, proof of residence, other documents.
Additional documents may be required by the authorities for further verification before the extension of the visa is granted. Our immigration lawyer in India can give you more details about the application process.
Investors are required to provide separate documentation for the purpose of company creation in India and the evaluation of their business.
We can give you complete details about the option to acquire Indian citizenship by investment, should you wish to open a company.
Obtaining Indian citizenship for immigration purposes
Foreign nationals who have continued their stay in India for a minimum number of years, and who also comply with other general requirements, are permitted to apply for Indian citizenship.
Our immigration lawyers in India briefly list the conditions for citizenship by naturalization:
- the applicant has resided in India for the last 12 months preceding the application;
- he or she has resided in India for the total amount of no less than 11 years prior to the mandatory 12-month period before application;
- the person is of good character and had adequate knowledge of the approved languages.
Other conditions apply for the registration as an Indian citizen of a minor child, for persons of Indian origin, or for those who are married to an Indian citizen.
If you wish to finalize your immigration to India by applying for citizenship, our team of lawyers can assist you.
Facts and figures about India
These are some of the facts that lead more and more people to make the decision of leaving their countries to relocate to India:
- India is a fast-growing economy, set to grow by 9% in 2021
- According to ExpatInsider, 72% of expats in India are happy with their financial situation there, which is higher than the global average of 64%.
- India is one of the global top destinations for migrants, with almost 100 million migrants living in the country.
The government of India has made different visas available to foreigners who want to move to India for any reason. If you want to know what are the characteristics of each one and which is the most suitable for you, the best way to do it is to reach out to our lawyers.
Whatever your reason for moving to India, you should know that the language and the laws will be a barrier that you will have to overcome to have a pleasant stay in this country.
We can help you with your migration process, with your company, and with setting up your taxes. If you want to make sure you have a smooth immigration process as possible, do not hesitate to contact our law firm in India.